Oak Meadow’s Sixth Grade curriculum engages the emerging adolescent with dramatic stories of struggle and exploration.
Ancient world civilizations provide the foundation for an integrated experience that weaves together the history, geography, literature, government, and art of ancient cultures. We encourage critical and independent thinking by challenging students to understand opposing viewpoints and to write from the perspective of different cultures and time periods.
Grammar lessons and activities are woven into writing assignments and students expand their vocabulary and composition skills.
Art explorations include sculpture, drawing, calligraphy, mosaics, marbling, costume making, and mask making.
Life Science includes the study of plant cell division and reproduction, plant classification systems, invertebrates and vertebrates, animal life cycles, ecosystems, and the human body. Emphasis is placed on using the scientific method, objective observation, and accurate recording of data to help students analyze their findings and to make connections between the overarching themes of the course.
The Math curriculum, redesigned in 2017, incorporates mental math and regular review of skills with new instructional content in decimals, percentages, area and volume, order of operations, factors, and prime numbers. Work continues with basic concepts of algebra and geometry. Students benefit from self-assessment with learning checklists and the opportunity for targeted skill practice with a variety of extra practice worksheets.
- View and download sample lessons
- Purchase from our Bookstore
- Common Core supplement for families who wish or need to meet this requirement.
Please note: Some items on the overview above, such as a literature selection, may have changed, but scope and sequence remain the same.
Projects, Crafts, & Activities
- Write a research paper on Ancient Egypt
- Draw a freehand map of the world
- Interview a person from the Stone Age
- Compose an adventure for Robin Hood
- Make a miniature Renaissance fresco
- Make up math problems using the Mayan number system
- Research carnivorous plants
- Dissect flowers
Sixth Grade Curriculum Materials
- Grade 6 English
- Grade 6 Ancient Civilizations
- Grade 6 Basic Life Science
- Grade 6 Math Coursebook
- Grade 6 Math Workbook
- Grade 6 Teacher Manual
- The Adventures of Robin Hood
- D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths
- Rainbow People
- Sixth Grade Craft Kit