The Fifth Grade curriculum awakens the student’s intellect and introspection through the lives of great people in history.
In English and Social Studies we combine geography, literature, and early American history to create an experience that challenges students to draw parallels across subjects. Studying the biographies of famous Americans prompts students to formulate their own opinions, make inquiries, explore, and experiment. Students write book reports and do research, concentrating on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and the parts of speech.
In Science, students engage in investigations and experiments that cultivate essential scientific skills such as forming a hypothesis, conducting observations, and taking field notes. The lessons emphasize the scientific method, conservation ecology, meteorology, anatomy, and astronomy and lay the groundwork for more extensive scientific studies in the upper grades.
The Math curriculum, redesigned in 2017, provides comprehensive practice of the four basic processes using both whole numbers and fractions, with an emphasis on mental math, word problems, and practical problem solving. Graphs, converting between different units of measure, rate and distance problems, and basic geometry concepts are included. Students will strengthen their foundational skills in preparation for moving into more advanced computational skills.
- View and download sample lessons
- Purchase from our Bookstore
- Common Core Supplement for families who wish or need to meet this requirement.
Please note: Some items on the overview above, such as a literature selection, may have changed, but scope and sequence remain the same.
- Memorize a Patrick Henry speech
- Write a persuasive essay on the American Revolution
- Write a play about Andrew Jackson
- Plan a trip across the United States
- Make a quill pen
- Make a wetland model
- Make a simple microscope
Fifth Grade Curriculum Materials
- Grade 5 U.S. History and English
- Grade 5 Science
- Grade 5 Math Coursebook
- Grade 5 Math Workbook
- Grade 5 Teacher Manual
- Harriet Tubman Call to Freedom
- Ben and Me
- Johnny Tremain
- Little House on the Prairie
- Sarah Morton’s Day
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond
- If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620
- Where Do You Think You’re Going, Christopher Columbus?
- Children of the Wild West
- Fifth Grade Craft Kit